Who is the Goddess Gayatri?
In Indian scriptures, Goddess Gayatri is the mother of the Vedas. Even the holy Trinity of the Hindu pantheon (Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh) revere and worship Gayatri.
Gayatri embodies the virtues of purity, truth and knowledge. She is gracious and filled with “rajoguna”.
Even Brahma the creator requires the power of Gayatri to attain his full power, thus in her absence, the whole Universe is affected.
In the ancient scriptures, the Goddess Gayatri is a combination of Saraswati, Lakshmi and Parvati.
It is also suggested that she draws her virtues from Savitri and Saraswati. Gayatri is the patron of life, while Savitri represents truth and Saraswati, knowledge.
Important gayatri mantras
The Gayatri mantra is the most well-known and powerful mantra that honours Goddess Gayatri. However, there are several other powerful mantras that you can chant as well.
If you want to truly understand how powerful Gayatri is, you should first understand the mantras chanted for the other gods.
The healing power of these mantras is multiplied when you pray to the god along with praying to Gayatri.
There are many Gayatri mantras associated with different gods, and each of these prayers can grant you different blessings. These include Ganesh-Gayatri, Vishnu-Gayatri, Shiv-Gayatri, Rama-Gayatri, etc.
Ganesh Gayatri Mantra
Vishnu Gayatri Mantra
The Shiv Gayatri Mantra is as follows
Krishna Gayatri Mantra
Rama Gayatri Mantra
How to meditate and chant to the Goddess Gayatri
- First, you must put full faith in your prayers and chant to the Goddess with complete devotion.
- Give in to her infinite power and truly believe in her ability to change your life.
- To begin meditation with the Gayatri mantra, sit in “sukhasana” or “padmasana”, or any pose that you find relaxing and comfortable.
- Keep your spine erect, back straight and do not put excess stress on your body.
- Put your hands on your knees – your index fingers should touch your thumb.
- Close your eyes.
- Take seven slow, deep breaths.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds and exhale. When exhaling, say “Aum” in a controlled manner and tone.
- Begin chanting the mantra in your mind, and focus on inhaling and exhaling.
- Take a deep breath, hold it and say “dashrath Vidmahe”. Now exhale, take another breath, and say “sita Vallabhai” while holding it. Exhale again.
- Follow the same pattern when you chant the entire mantra.
- Do not overdo it or over-exert yourself. Chant and meditate for as long as you are comfortable. Do not unduly tax your mind and body.
How do I pray to the Goddess Gayatri in the best way?
- Any prayers to the Goddess Gayatri must be offered with clean body. It is essential that you take a bath before beginning your prayers.
- It is best to chant the mantras in the early morning.
- When chanting, you should try and face North or East.
- You can chant to an image of the Goddess sitting on a red lotus.
- The image or idol of the Goddess should be placed at a height above you, on an asan or pedestal. Always pray looking up at Her.
- Put a kumkum mark on the Goddess’ forehead.
- You can even light a diya or incense sticks in the prayer area to make it fragrant and pure.
- You may offer sweets (prasadam) and achaman (water) to the Goddess during your prayers. After the ceremonies, you may distribute and eat it.
- When praying, always wear fresh and clean clothes.
- Chanting the mantra 27 times has been proven to be beneficial.
- Chanting the mantra is most effective at odd-number counts. 108 is also a good number.
What is the best time to pray to the Goddess Gayatri?
- The best time to pray and chant the Gayatri Mantra is early morning, when night has passed and the new day is dawning.
- If you cannot pray in the morning, noon is the next best time, where morning and afternoon meet.
- Dusk is also good, the time when afternoon and evening meet.
- Finally, if you are unable to adhere to these timings, you need not be restricted by the time of day. You may pray whenever you find it convenient and comfortable.
- Praying in the morning grants you intelligence and wisdom, praying in the afternoon grants you protection and courage while evening prayers give you knowledge. You can schedule your prayers depending on what you seek to gain.
What do you stand to gain from praying to the Goddess Gayatri?
- The benefits of the Gayatri mantra are not restricted to one aspect of life – you will see positive changes in your outlook and general life as well.
- You are protected at all time – when travelling, driving, walking, or even dancing!
- The Gayatri mantra will help synchronize all your Chakras.
- Chanting the Gayatri Mantra when bathing makes the water pure and eliminates toxins from your body.
- Chanting the mantra prior to eating can make the meal more nutritional and beneficial for you.
- These mantras also provide specific benefits. For example, the Ganesh-Gayatri mantra removes obstacles from your life path and helps you reach your goals faster.
- The sounds produced during chanting these Gayatri Mantra are special and can uplift your life.